Congratulations on taking the first step to having your child baptized!
We are full of joy that you desire to have your Child baptized at Saint Clement. For your benefit, we have put together the most common questions Parents ask us about the process. However, if you want to have your Child baptized with the least amount of expectations from us, you may be disappointed.
Our baptism preparation process isn’t meant to complicate your life or make you jump through hoops to have your Child baptized. Instead, our process is in place to prepare you for one of the greatest adventures and responsibilities that you will have as a Parent. Parents are to be the primary teachers of their Children regarding God: Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Our simple process is here to help you become the best of teachers. When you are practicing your faith, your Child will learn best from your example! We are here to help you to become great and holy Parents!
1. Do I have to be a registered parishioner to have my Child baptized at Saint Clement? No! Saint Clement does not insist that Parents be registered parishioners at our beloved parish. However, in order to have your Child baptized at Saint Clement, the Parents of the Child will need to complete our parish Baptism Preparation Process which consists of the following steps: an Initial Interview with the Priest and a Baptismal Preparation Class.
2. What happens if my Child is seven years old or older? Is there a special requirement for the Baptism of older children?
Yes! Children who have reached the age of the use of reason (7 years or older) need to be instructed in the Catholic faith, since it is they who to a certain extent will be requesting the Sacrament of Baptism. Please contact Cathy Rosales at ext. 306 to register your Child for the next class.
3. Are both Parents required to attend the Baptismal Preparation Class before their Child can be baptized?
Yes! Parents are to be properly prepared to live out the commitment they are making (i.e., to raise their Child in the Catholic faith) and to be able to celebrate the Sacrament of Baptism with a greater understanding as to its impact, beauty, significance and nature. Therefore, Parents by necessity are required to attend a Baptismal Preparation Class before their Child can be baptized. Unless there is a dire emergency or grave cause, this obligation cannot otherwise be exempted.
4. Is the Godfather and/or Godmother required to attend a Baptismal Preparation Class before baptizing their Godchild?
Yes! The role of the Godfather and/or Godmother (as the sponsor of a baptized Child) is extremely important in the Christian formation of the Child. Every sponsor (either Godfather or Godmother or both) must be prepared to fulfill their function in the Baptismal Rite, and to help the Parents in their duty to raise the Child in the practice of the Catholic faith. Consequently, St. Clement requires every sponsor to attend a Baptismal Preparation Class, either at our parish or at their own parish.
5. Can a baptized Christian, yet not a Catholic, be a Godparent?
No, only a practicing Catholic who meets the requirements below can be a Godparent (sponsor). If you have any questions, please bring them up at your Initial Interview with the Priest. Requirements to be a Godparent :Must be at least 18 yrs. old; have the aptitude and intention of fulfilling their role to assist the Parents in helping the baptized Child lead a Christian life; and have celebrated their First Communion, Confirmation, and not be subject to a canonical penalty.
6. If the chosen Godparents are not married in the Catholic Church, can they still be the Child’s Godparents (sponsors)?
Firstly, a Godparent does not need to be a married person. A Godparent can be a single chaste adult. However, if a chosen Godparent IS a married person (whether to another Catholic or to a non-Catholic) then they must be validly married by the Catholic Church, because the Church asks that Godparents be a living witness of the Catholic faith for the good of both the Parents and the Child.
7. What documents do I need to bring?
- The original Birth Certificate of the Child (if the Child has been born).
- If Parents are not registered parishioners of St. Clement will need to provide a “Permission Letter” from the parish statingt they haver permission to baptize at St. Clement.
- Godparent(s) who are not registered parishioners of St. Clement will need to provide a “Sponsor Letter” from their parish stating they qualify to act as sponsors.
- Godparent(s) who are single must provide a copy of their First Communion and Confirmation Certificates.
- Godparent(s) who are married, must provide a copy of their Catholic Marriage Certificate, NOT their civil marriage license.
8. When are the baptisms dates and clases?
Baptisms are the third Saturday of the month and baptism class the second Friday of the month.
Gather all the required documents and call the parish office to schedule an appoinment with Fr. Pedro.
We look forward to hearing from you soon!
PARENTS PLEASE NOTE:
You must register for Baptism ONE MONTH before the date of the Baptism. Your child will NOT be added to the Baptism list until ALL documents have been turned in.